dibaliklayar

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Story of SUSE 10

Finally I got Suse 10 downloaded and installed. the only reason I want to upgrade from version 9.2 is that this version has ktorrent build in :) I love it.

I intend to make this server for web, ftp, ssh, download, mysql and test bed server.
using 500MHZ dell machine with 512mb of ram. Will be upgraded as needed. I NEED MORE HDD SPACE. anybody want to donate used HDD more than 20GB?:)

Current setting I am using 10GB of HDD. I have another 6GB but I will put this later when the installation is ok. I just want to see how easy it is to add HDD in SUSE 10

Installation note:
- everything is straight forward installation just like 9.2 version. I pick what ever package I need for the services and just after everything is installed it will ask you to run auto update, skip this. instead run update after rebooting.
- Make sure you run update after it reboot from last installation process. I found that some how the kernel download give you problem, if you download that during the installation process
- okay after everything is installed I try firefox, its running. I try ktorrent its running.... I AM HAPPY :)
- not so fast boy, I tried to do below in 2 sleepless night, I know I should've guess this
- problem start to occur.
- I try to login using SHH, it kick me out
- I try to login using FTP, it kick me out
- !@#$%!*&*
- okay now I try to check the firewall, it looks okay
- check the configuration for both(ssh & ftp) server, its okay
- trying countless configuration in the .conf file
- HTTP server is running fine, I can connet to it from outside
- what in the )(&*%, network seems to be working
- okay trys to ping broadcast, return 100%
- try to ping other computer IP, return 100%
- try to ping google, return 0%
- try to ping yahoo, return 0%
- try again to set up DHCP for IP and DNS and everything
- All Auto, still not working
- I am about to kill something......... maybe cocroach in my bathroom is a good candidate. since my bath tub is clogged, so I ahve to blame those cocroach from having their real estate build in the my pipe boulevard. So I bought a Drano gel, or something like that with industrial strength, and there you go the pour the slim in the pipe and wait for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, I google why in the hell I can not ping thos server. Apparently, its because I don't have DNS, I did not get DNS set up with auto configuration from SUSE 10.&@$! &@$! &@$!
- all this time wasted because I trust auto configuration. &@$!
- so I put the DNS manually
VOILA, it works

I wonder why it happended, maybe the fact that I have 3 network card installed give me this problem. I don't know why I installed 3, I still have one more though lying around on my desk. May be I will put them in good use later. For now I will download those torrent.... :)

lesson learned

- DNS is as important as IP, what am I thinking...........
- don't trust auto configuration
- google still the ultra hugh mega source for knowledge. IMHO
- gel drano works great , for now
- suse 10 is easy, not so easy but YAST still better than nothing.

happy trying......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home